Tuesday, February 16, 2016

2014-September: Layered Skirts

I wanted to make this skirt for E's friend's birthday, because I had a lot of fat quarters laying around and a pattern that used small strips.  I figured I'd make one for E., too!  E. picked out the fabric for the friend, and then more for herself.




The gift skirt





E's skirt



I will say that the skirt came out really cute, but it had a couple of flaws.

First, all the glitter on my glitter tulle came completely off after one wash!  Oops.  (Luckily it magically didn't get all over the rest of the laundry load.)

Then, over time E. would play with the tulle and rip it and just kind of destroy it till it was all ragged and I cut it off bit by bit.

Second, the layers or tiers on the skirt are sewn together just so so that the overlap on each row wrinkles up really badly and flips up, showing the inside and somewhat covering the row above.  It just looks messy.  Not sure how to fix this, because without the overlap it's just sort of patchwork stripes.  The overlapping layers do add to the cuteness!

Way later on, I added a couple rows to her skirt so she could keep wearing it, and she's still wearing it!  That will be a separate post. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment