Saturday, September 19, 2015

An Introduction

Artist author illustrator sewist Dorothy Tully makes children's books, art illustrations, and handmade sewing goodies at Dorybird.com!

Aside from the occasional wonky pair of curtains on the sewing machine I got for my wedding, I really wasn't into sewing until the very end of 2013.  What was my inspiration?  Why, my daughter, of course!

In 2012-2013, I had fun hand-painting clothing/trainers/undies for her and some friends . . . this led to my interest in MAKING cool clothes myself!  I also had cloth diapered her (and currently use cloth for my second, as well), so I eventually got curious about sewing my own training pants for her.

Through careful study of how some purchased trainers were constructed, internet research and ultimately buying some patterns, I experimented with making a couple pairs of training pants for her.  She learned pretty quickly after I sewed these, so I didn't have much sewing to do for a while -- until I learned some friends were pregnant!

Thus in 2014 I began sewing some cloth diapers for their future babies . . . and it was really fun and relaxing!  I learned my machine, got better and more efficient at it, and really loved the sense of accomplishment from the finished pieces.  I kept going, trying patterns and making all sorts of clothes for my girl!

(I should add that I got hooked on fabrics at this point . . . eh heh heh . . . all those amazing colors and prints!!  And soft, comfy knits!  Wheeee!)

So now here I am, sewing every chance I get and trying new things for both my first daughter and now my second little baby girl!  I keep picking up tips and tricks along the way -- I'm no expert, but I love learning and hope to steadily improve.  I have a background in Design, and I think I've finally found the perfect outlet for my skills: making all these amazingly cute sewn things with my own two hands!!

On this blog I want to document the projects I've made from the start (a backlog of sorts, including painted shirts), and keep going with future projects, too.  Sorry about any poor photo quality; I'm trying to get things up here quickly!

Thanks for reading!
Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment