Tuesday, September 22, 2015

2013-January: Oshie Art (Nasturtiums)

I'm going to include my Oshie pieces here because they helped push me into my love of FABRIC!  And it is a form of textile art, though it doesn't involve any sewing.

I was inspired to try my own Oshie by a piece I had bought in Vancouver, BC.  It's a Japanese art form where you use fabric to "upholster" little pieces of chipboard (with cotton batting inside), then assemble them all together into a puffy, quilt-like collage!  I still had no sewing confidence at this point, but here was a way I could make something "quilty" and patchwork-y, just using scissors and glue!

My first piece: nasturtiums.  I brought in a stem of them from my yard, taped it to a board in a still life, and worked from there.



No comments:

Post a Comment