Monday, November 21, 2016

2015-December: Potholders!

What better Christmas present for the sewing enthusiast to give out, than homemade potholders?  I took this opportunity to practice some patchwork techniques from this Purl Soho mini patchwork pincusion tutorial.  It had so much good stuff!

FRONTS!

BACKS!

(Scroll to end to see one more bonus potholder!)

I had wanted to make MANY potholders for everyone, but with all my other projects going on, and time in general, I only made them for 3 people.  I also had a design flaw: they are only quilted with one layer of batting, so they don't work very well as potholders!  You need to fold them in half.  Bummer!

#1 front

#1 back

#1 was just generically scrappy, using a log cabin technique.

#2 front

#2 back

#2 was a Nine Patch Block, using up some charm squares!  Am I getting fancy now, or what?

#3 front

#3 back

#3 was generally scrappy, using scraps from this mini quilt I did.

#4 front

#4 back

#4 was Stacked Coins, with rainbows! :)  It came out a lot bigger than the others, so it's more of a trivet.  Or something.

#5 Front

#5 Back

 #5 was generally scrappy.  Recognize scraps from this dress?
Oh, yeah! -- It was my first time binding something with store-bought bias tape! (later on, I learned to make my own!)


I really enjoyed making these. Patchwork is fun, and with some simple cutting and switching around, it can look so cool! (And like it was more complicated to do!  Ha ha!)  I recognize that all of these came out "fairly" to "wicked" wonky, depending on your standards, but  for this project, that was OK by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment