Thursday, November 3, 2016

2015-November/December: K Mini Quilt

This was my second quilt, a small one -- but super complicated!  It took plenty of design skills, mathematics, and patience!


I made up my own quilt pattern and it came out just how I wanted, so that's something to be proud of!


I gave this quilt to my friend K., to show support while her family was/is going through some tough health issues.  All their names start with K.



It was quilting cottons on the front and super soft minky on the back.



Process photos below!


I planned out my design, then grouped and cut and grouped and sewed a bunch of squares and half-square triangles.  There was much grouping going on, and keeping piles in order.

I laid everything out the way I wanted every step of the way, so as not to mess up!  Everyone knew not to touch my desk!! (although, looks like a My Little Pony snuck in there!)

Here is one of the blocks.

Four "K heart" blocks sewn and laid out with middle pieces

Sewing the middle

More middle

Look!  I get so confused with these things, I wrote out the order of sewing everything together, took this picture, and worked from it!

I added the border . . .

Once I had the top, I zigzag sewed the edge to the batting.  This step is probably not necessary, but I do it for extra insurance against the batting shifting all over the place. I have anxious visions of this!

Then I pinned (right sides together) to the minky back, sewed my quilt sandwich, trimmed a bit, and turned and topstitched!

My quilting lines were "in the ditch" along the border and nine large squares in the middle.






It came out just as I'd envisioned it, and I'm quite proud of it!  All the Ks liked it too, and I'm always thinking of you guys. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment