Monday, July 25, 2016

2014-December: Book Club Bag

My book club was having a Christmas party/Yankee swap/White Elephant gift exchange/celebration, so of course I chose to make something!  (I always make something!)  I had found instructions for a cute little bag in a library book and decided it would be perfect.

Supercute finished bag; scroll down for process photos!


First, I chose a bunch of fabrics to use, and cut them to size.  This project was great for using my "charm packs".

I stitched the various rectangles together

And through the magic of rotary cutters and further stitching, I made these little checkerboards!  I LOVE this process -- it looks like you did a ton of work, but it was really MAGIC!


Then the sides of the bag got sewn on.  I don't remember why I was measuring, but the whole bag was really small.  And CUTE!

Then through some other process, a lining was added. (Helpful, I know.  Hey, it's been a year and a half since I did this; I can't quite remember everything!)

And the bottom is on.

Ta-da!  We have a bag!

Ooh, but what's this? Making handles for the bag?


Handles are snapped on! I actually remember the book saying something about buying leather handles for this project, but where the heck do you get those?  Good thing I make cloth diapers and have plenty of snaps (and improvisational skills)!

See?  It snaps shut!


Cute bag, ready to go to its new mystery home!


Here it is, fluffy with a scarf I was also passing on to the swap.

The bag was a hit!  I know because it got "stolen" a couple times through the absolutely unfair rules of the swap . . . I hope you found some use for the bag, V., and I know, J., that you still want one!  I definitely plan to make more of this ilk!  Possibly in a slightly larger size, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment