Friday, July 29, 2016

2015-April: Winter Kimono Shirt

Lest you think that ALL of my sewing has been for E. at this point, let me show you the first shirt I made for baby sister C.!


 It's a kimono style wrap shirt from the Opulent Monsters OM-agami Kimono pattern!



I used the same fabrics for this shirt as for E's Winter Dress, so they could be matchy-matchy for 5 minutes till one of them spilled something and needed to change, or ran away from the camera.  Ha ha!

I did manage to take a few cute pictures!

So, this was a super cute shirt, but it wasn't my favorite to make.  It just seemed like too much effort for what I got.  Of course I got a great top for C. (wrap shirts are convenient when babies are very little), but I feel like it would have been just as cute and perhaps easier to do if it was just a cardigan style.


The snaps with their backings looked wonky to me.  I know that snaps need a backing, but in this shirt the placement was just . . . weird.  All wrap shirts are somewhat like this, of course.  I just don't think I want to make any more wrap shirts.

I'd like to try out a pattern for a cardigan variation on a tee shirt and see how I like that.  For this shirt, the trim and the snaps and the tutorial instructions were a bit too much for me.  I still don't think I got the bottom band quite right!  

My timing was off as well; she outgrew this pretty fast!  Not a pattern for the long-torsoed (and my cuff material wasn't the right kind of stretchy).  This is how we learn, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment