Sunday, July 31, 2016

2015-September: Woven Sheet Shorts Turned Baby Pants

This project was kind of hilarious.  Not just because these are made out of an old bedsheet that had ripped.


These started out as SHORTS for E (she was 4 at the time), but were so small, I turned them into baby pants for the not-quite-one-year-old, C.


I used my trusty Parsley Pants pattern, but it was actually not to be trusted!  Not for woven material, anyway!  I had only ever made these pants out of knits before this.  I tried using the size I had used before (I think it was size 7 as per E's measurements -- still huge!), but she couldn't even pull them on as I was fitting for elastic.

I repeat: with no elastic in them at all, she couldn't even get these shorts on!  What the hell??

Pocket lining!
So instead of crying (OK, maybe I had a bit of crying in there), I just turned around and made them into baby pants!  After chopping off about 8" of my prepared elastic, they fit C. just great!




They still do!  They're little summer capri pants now.  And I know I can add more elastic down the road, because they've got the room for it!

My next project was the needed shorts for E., but I figured out that with this particular pattern and these crazy wovens she should be wearing the size 10.  I repeat: my 4-year-old is in a size 10.  Who are these other micro-4-year-olds that these "sizes" are supposed to fit?  Thumbelina?

***Update!  The Parsley Pants pattern is not small!  Read this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment