Thursday, December 1, 2016

2016-October: Lion Patchwork Dress Halloween Costume

E. wanted to be "a lion in a patchwork dress" for Halloween.  We had talked about making her an everyday patchwork dress costume anyway, so this dress would cover both!


front

back


Here is how I made this crazy thing! I used the Flared Peasant Dress pattern from 5Berries and a lot of different knit scraps!!

First I pieced together shapes approximating the pattern pieces.  I just sort of did my wild arty no-plan patchwork -- they aren't backed on anything -- and it worked out fine!

Here's the front bodice all cut

Here's the back bodice

These are the three patchwork skirt panels.  I alternated scrappy panels with panels made from one piece of fabric (each one was from an old shirt). 

Here is everything!  Isn't it fun?  You would never believe this pile of messy scraps would turn into a dress!!

Here is the bodice all put together -- sleeves are from an old shirt


The dress is done!  A. had the great idea to sew the skirt panels wrong sides together and leave the allowance so the scrappy, messy seams would be hanging on the outside all wild.  I think it adds to the wackiness and I love how it came out.



Twirly!

Now don't forget, I also made the "lion" portion of the costume by putting ears on a clearance jacket (wow, it was the perfect find at the perfect time, all sherpa-fuzzy and tan like a lion!)


And I made lion paw gloves mostly out of cloth diaper sewing supplies!  I traced E's hands on some cream-colored microfleece and made quick gloves (they are quite wonky but I was time pressured!).  I snapped on the "claws" using KAM snaps!  For fun I used sockets on one hand and studs on the other so she could snap her hands together if she wanted to (and she did want to).  I colored the pad parts with a trusty brown Sharpie.




Oh, and I made shoe covers in much the same way, for her "back feet".  And I bought clearance tan pants and hemmed them to her height.

Here is my lion!  Really, she could have just gone out like this.  I didn't do a tail, because of the dress.  But if we were aiming for plain lion, I would have dreamed up a tail for her!


Here's my girl! (and little sister -- check out her costume post!)

Really the dress was a bit of a tight squeeze over the bulky sweatshirt, but she was happy with the result.  And now she has two play costumes!  (Some folks thought she was some sort of sheep, but that's okay because "lion in a patchwork dress" isn't a typical costume anyway!)

No comments:

Post a Comment